Symantec NetBackup 7.5 for Unix/Windows: Maintain and Troubleshoot
All of our private classes are customized to your organization's needs.
Click on the button below to send us your details and you will be contacted shortly.
This Symantec NetBackup Maintain and Troubleshoot course provides the IT professional with instruction on troubleshooting Symantec NetBackup 7.5 software. This course covers general error detection tools and troubleshooting methodologies. Students practice solving problems related to the NetBackup database, devices, media, disk, deduplication, and networking. In addition, students study the functions of key NetBackup processes and how to enable, view, and manage the associated logs.
Before attending this course, you must have:
- One year of NetBackup administration on Windows or UNIX
- Two years' experience as a system administrator, including networking, on the Windows or UNIX operating system
- Familiarity with backup and restore concepts and SAN concepts
This program will be conducted with interactive lectures, PowerPoint presentations, discussions and practical exercises
- Detect problems using tools such as the NetBackup reports, NBSU, and administrative commands.
- Correct problems and verify these corrections.
- Understand the functions of services, daemons, and processes that drive NetBackup operations.
- Back up, recover, and troubleshoot the NetBackup catalog, including the NBDB database.
- Rapidly and accurately isolate the root cause of a backup failure.
- Troubleshoot a wide variety of tape device, media, disk, deduplication, and communication-related problems.
- Enable and use legacy, unified, and robust logging to troubleshoot problems.
- Run backups and restores with a higher rate of success and efficiency.
- Troubleshoot miscellaneous features such as OpsCenter and Storage Lifecycle policies (SLP).
- Troubleshooting situations and methodology
- Gathering symptoms and information
- Additional troubleshooting resources
- Core process functions
- Backup process flow
- Restore process flow
- Viewing process flow information
Hands-On Labs: Trace the NetBackup process flow of a backup and restore job to both tape and disk
- The NetBackup catalog
- The NetBackup relational databases (NBDB)
- Catalog backup and recovery
- Maintaining the NBDB
Hands-On Labs: Perform and analyze a NetBackup catalog backup and a catalog recovery when the disaster recovery file is not available
- Understanding NetBackup communication
- Configuring NetBackup and network communication
- Troubleshooting network and NetBackup communication problems
- Common NetBackup communication issues
Hands-On Labs: Solve simulated communication related problems
- NetBackup device troubleshooting
- Common NetBackup device issues
- Media and device selection
- Media-related status codes
- Troubleshooting frozen and suspended media
Hands-On Labs: Solve simulated device and media related problems.
- Overview of disk-based backups
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting Basic Disk
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting Advanced Disk
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting NetBackup deduplication
- Maintaining and Troubleshooting OpenStorage
Hands-On Labs: Solve simulated disk-related problems
- Troubleshooting file system backups
- Troubleshooting snapshot-based backups
- Troubleshooting VMware backups
- Troubleshooting Hyper-V backups
- Troubleshooting restores
Hands-On Labs: Solve simulated file system backup problems
- Understanding Storage Lifecycle Policies process flow
- Troubleshooting Storage Lifecycle Policies
- Troubleshooting data classification
- Understanding Auto Image Replication process flow
- Troubleshooting Auto Image Replication
Hands-On Labs: Solve simulated SLP and Auto Image Replication problems
- Enabling debug logs
- Viewing debug logs
- Log management
- Capturing debug logs
Hands-On Labs: Configure debug log settings, collect debug logs, view legacy and unified debug logs
- NetBackup upgrade overview
- Manually upgrading NetBackup
- Using NetBackup LiveUpdate
Hands-On Labs: Perform and verify a manual installation of a NetBackup patch on a master server, configure NetBackup LiveUpdate to update one or more NetBackup client systems